Tuesday, June 09, 2015

{Spotlight Project} Maria Experiments with Stencils and Glitter



Hello, friends! Nice to be here with you. Today I am experimenting with a stencil, some adhesive paper, and glitter. Wanna see what happened?


Perhaps you saw this card of mine. Well, the glitter was out (and all over the place) and I thought, "I wonder if you can apply glitter through a stencil?" So I gave it a try.

STEP 1
I roughly marked where I wanted my glitter panel to be on my cardbase.



STEP 2
I applied Chipped Sapphire Distress Ink through the stencil Hello and Company, masking the area around the word "you" to avoid getting ink where I didn't want it.




STEP 3
Then I took my adhesive sheet and glued it onto my cardbase. I brayered it and when dry, trimmed it and pulled off the backing sheet.





STEP 4
I put the Oh My Stars! stencil down, sprinkled on the blue glitter, burnished it lightly, dumped off the excess, and then carefully removed the stencil. In the second photo you can see that the result was not perfect. Some glitter snuck under the stencil and a bit of the adhesive along the bottom edge pulled up when I removed the stencil. Results could be different depending on the type of adhesive sheet you use.




STEP 5
I added red glitter to the exposed areas of adhesive, leaving some small areas exposed.




STEP 6
I sprinkled on some silver glitter and burnished the entire panel with my finger. Then I stamped my sentiment from The Birds and The Blooms across the "yous" and heat embossed it. But the red embossing did not show up well on the blue sponged area, so I added it on a scrap of white CS as you can see on my finished card!





Hope you enjoyed this experiment. The card's actually going to BFF's DH whose birthday is around July 4th. With the exception of the sentiment, this is a one layer card. Totally mailable but packing quite the punch, don't you agree?

Next time around, I'll be sloshing some watercolors onto a spotlight...

TschĂĽss,
Maria


Supplies Maria used in today's project:

      


Prize alert! Leave a comment in this post for an entry to our Spotlight Projects random drawing for June. We'll pick ONE (1) commenter to win a $10 gift certificate or her choice of 1 ARTplorations stencil. We'll announce the winner on the first week of July!

17 comments:

  1. love how you have added glitter!! Its awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant way to add glitter. I hate how messy and mucky it can be, but this is a good way to contain it as best you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cats this is stunning and very clever. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! This is so fun. I think I would probably wind up making a HUGE mess with this technique. Me and glitter, as a rule, do not mix. I wind up wearing it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The card mush be super shimmery in real , loved the ise of stencil with glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the instructions on how to make this sparkly card:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous Maria - love that you showed us all the details, and the false starts and opps as you made this card.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool and awesome way to make a card and to use the stencils!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW...glittery and gorgeous, Maria! Way to shine in the spotlight with this gem...
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glittery goodness at its finest. This really sparkles and shined!!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)